FIRST ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF PNT REGION SETTLEMENT SERVICES IN SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES!
Welcome everyone to this first annual Conference of PNT Region Settlement Services in Schools and Communities! We have appropriately named this Conference: Engaging Newcomer Families – Inspiring Education.
Originally, this conference was going to involve only Saskatchewan SWIS practitioners. However, based on the insight of a number of people and the support and approval of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), we have been able to expand the scope of our learning to include our colleagues in other parts of Canada. With the experiences and insights of our colleagues in Alberta, Manitoba, Yukon and Northwest Territories, together with experts in the field, we will exchange ideas, build relationships, create supportive networks, and move forward to change what is not working, and improve what is working. Our children, youth, families and communities will be the beneficiaries of our collective wisdom. Our impact will be profound.
None of this would be possible without the support and funding from IRCC. Our hope is that after our three days together, we will depart with knowledge, enthusiasm and connections to inspire our creativity and resourcefulness. Our five conference themes are:
- Successful integration of refugee and immigrant students in the education system
- Engaging families in their children/youth education life
- Supporting refugee and immigrant children and youth well-being (mental health support and prevention) • Exploring innovative and best practices
- Identifying future initiatives
On behalf of the Learning Event Organizing Committee,
- Maryam Karimi
- Saskatchewan SWIS Coordinator